Highlights from the news release:
- Brand new Perl-based Web administrative interface using the Catalyst framework
- New violation actions to set the node's role and deregister it
- Support for scanning dot1x connections for auto-registration by EAP-Type
- Support for auto registering dot1x node based of the EAP-Type
- New searchable MAC Addresses module to query all existing OUI prefixes
- New advanced search capabilities for nodes and users
- New memory object caching subsystem for configuration files
- Ubuntu packages
- Authentication sources can now be managed directly from the GUI
- Roles (previously called categories) are now computed dynamically using authentication sources
- Portal profiles and portal pages are now managed from the GUI
- Fingerprints and User Agents modules are now searchable
- Translated all remediation pages to French
- Updated Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish translations
Lots of good features listed. I am looking forward to the new admin ui. That is something in the current version which needed help. A heavily loaded system moved slow trying to admin it.
New search is something which was needed. If you didn't get it quite right the first time you could be sitting a while when waiting for the results to load.
Overall the list of changes looks like a big step forward in usability for the system.
A big gotcha listed in the release notes is the recommendation to start with a fresh install. With the major rewrite it would be difficult to just upgrade in place. See UPGRADE document.
I will be starting my migration in the next month or so. I plan on posting a review once I get my system updated.